GQA Qualifications Blog

Monday 16 February 2015

CE Marking - Frequently Asked Questions - Know the facts

CE Marking is a legal requirement that all windows and doors fitted in the UK are CE marked. Austin Greene of Assure Window and Doors, has compiled some FAQ’s and also an explanation on how to comply with the law.
Frequently Asked Questions;

Is this just a European law?
It is a European standard but it became law in the UK in July 2013.

Is it just an English law like the building regs?
No this is UK law therefore it is mandatory in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The glass has a CE mark so is this ok?
No the entire window/door needs to be CE Marked.

Who is responsible for the CE marking?
The Installation Company is responsible not the system supplier, glass company or frame manufacture.

Do I just need to put a sticker on my window?
No you also need documented evidence of hardware test results, ‘U’ value calculations and written procedures

I understand that that if I buy a fully glazed window my supplier will CE mark it, but why when I buy unglazed is it my responsibility?
Yes, one of the main requirements of CE marking is that the window must have a ‘U’value and you must be able to prove it. So when you buy an unglazed window the supplier does not know what unit you are buying so he cannot prove the ‘U’value. Once the unit and frame are put together it is the installer who “declares” the ‘U’ value

Is this a building regulation?
No, This is a law under the Sale of Goods act so if you don’t CE mark your windows you will be prosecuted by Trading Standards not Building Control

CE Marking - A Guide for window and doorset fabricators and Installers

CE marking indicates that a product conforms to legal requirements in specific European technical standards known as harmonised European Norms (‘hEN’). It enables a product to be placed legally on the market in any European member state. However, regulatory requirements may differ from country to country. Note, this will mean Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in the future as the devolved administrations have responsibility for Building Regulations in their countries.

The CE marking symbol is placed on either the product or the packaging accompanying the product.
This guide is intended for manufacturers who make external windows and doors.

The manufacturer is the company that brings together the frame and the glazing, i.e. a company that buys frames from one source and IGUs from another is deemed to be the manufacturer under the CPR and is therefore legally responsible for CE Marking.

Why is it necessary?

From 1st July 2013, the Construction Products Regulation 2011 (CPR) will replace the Construction Products Directive (CPD). Under the CPD, CE Marking has been voluntary and few manufacturers have bothered CE Marking. Under the CPR, CE Marking becomes mandatory taking effect on 1st July 2013.

What do you need to do to comply with CE marking requirements?

The following checklist will guide you through the CE marking process:
1 Define your product ranges, e.g. casement, tilt/turn, residential doors.
2 Review Annex ZA within BS EN 14351-1
3 The required characteristics for the UK are strength of any fitted safety devices, the presence of any dangerous substances and the thermal performance (U value).
4 Compliance with these characteristics is demonstrated using system 3
5 A Notified Body (NB) is responsible for the Initial Type Testing (ITT) and you are responsible for factory production control.
6 ITT test reports will normally be cascaded down from your PVC-U system supplier. If not, then you will need test reports from a Notified Test Laboratory.
7 Set up Factory Production Control (FPC)
8 Produce a Declaration of Performance
9 Apply CE Marking to product, or packaging.

Austin Greene, Technical & Compliance Manager, Assure Windows & Doors